[U] RE: Ubuntu 8.04 Is Ready to Take On Windows

Miller LCpl Scott J scott.j.miller at cf.mnf-wiraq.usmc.mil
Thu May 1 18:06:50 UTC 2008

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED

> I know I'm probably part of a shrinking crowd, but I categorically _do
not_ want Linux to be taking on Windows if that means relinquishing any
of the power that makes it better.

Care to clarify?  I believe I understand where you are going with this,
but I just want to make sure we are on the same page.  I assume that by
this you mean that with larger crowds, comes unwanted individuals who
could hinder the productivity of Ubuntu.  Am I in the ball park with
this?  This is something that is bound to happen sooner or later
regardless of whether or not Ubuntu ever overcomes Windows.  Ubuntu is
already a hot OS, and it's only going to get bigger than it already is.
With popularity comes malicious users and people who exploit flaws, such
is the ways of humanity.

> If people want hand-holding and warning after warning, they probably
don't want something that starts with a warning that this product
carries no guarantee whatsoever...

With any operating system, there is always room for operator error no
matter how much we may try to mitigate the possibilities.  It is always
a risk.  Even if we slam so many errors in people's faces, telling them
"DO NOT CLICK THIS BUTTON!" Eventually, they will get annoyed, and they
will skip the message in its entirety, going straight for the OK button.
There isn't much we are going to be able to do, that isn't already in
place to prevent crash-related mistakes.

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED