Undo 7.10 upgrade to 8.04 ?

elmo elmo at ne.rr.com
Mon May 5 00:18:48 UTC 2008

elmo wrote:
> I started the 7.10 upgrade to 8.04 after midnight and the process seemed
> to work perfectly  but I believe that I made some bad judgments because
> I was half asleep.
>
> One that I recall was selecting either a new menu.lst or keeping the old
> one.  I chose the old one  (why? , oh why?).  Now there's nothing in the
> bootup menu that indicates that there is an  8.04 on board.  When the
> desktop appears, it looks exactly like the old one in 7.10.
>
> How can I determine if the upgrade actually occurred.  Should the
> desktop look different?
>
> Lastly, what's the best course to take from here?
> 1.  Forget about upgrading......just delete 7.10 and install a fresh
> 8.04 from CD
> 2.  Just do a fresh upgrade over the current upgrade.  (long before
> midnight)
> 3.   ????-----undo the upgrade then repeat the upgrade (  "
> "         "  )
>
> elmo

Thanks, everyone who tried to get my upgrade working right.

I'm disappointed by the way my upgrade hasn't produced the results that
I expected.
I thought the upgrade would produce a nice new display that was clearly
different from the old
7.10 but everything still looks like the same old thing, no hint that
the upgrade worked even though
tests show that 8.04 is there.

So, I took the big step, I installed 8.04 from a CD in a new partition
and it works
just fine....desktop and menu.lst definitely 8.04. Really slick!

I have backups of the original 7.10 and will get to work to copy the
parts of interest to the new
8.04.

Again, thank you for the assists even though I couldn't get what I
expected.
Advice to others. Don't start an upgrade an hour after your normal bedtime

elmo