8.04 with Vista Home Premium

Flavio Costa flavio.cdc at gmail.com
Sun May 4 22:16:16 UTC 2008

I've installed Ubuntu 8.04 without problems in my notebook.
All I had to do was repartiotion the HD 'cuz Vista was taking the whole
disk, so I used GParted from the LiveCD, repartitioned the disk and then
launched the install.
The unique "problem" I had was that when I booted Vista after Ubuntu's
instalation Vista claimed that it had to fix the boot sector and after
fixing it also ran a chkdsk on its partition, but after that everything was
pretty much the same, but with a smaller disk size ;)

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Rick <rufus at hanadari.net> wrote:

>  NoOp wrote:
>
> On 05/03/2008 03:17 AM, Rick wrote:
>

>  Installing Ubuntu with XP should pose no problems. At least it has not in the
> past. I just need more room on a second hard disk, the purchase of which, my
> wife wisely says, is contingent upon my losing 5 kilos.
>
> The urgent question has to do with my HP Pavilion dv600 laptop with Vista Home
> Premium loaded. There's plenty of room, but Vista uses a different partition
> paradigm from that in XP, and potentially is more complicated to use as a
> partner in a dual boot. I have read that 8.04 installs with Vista and have seen
> reference to such dual boots in the Users' correspondence, but when I tried an
> installation yesterday, there was no recognition of special conditions for
> Vista. Ultimately I canceled the installation, because I feared losing the
> existing Vista installation.
>
> I would very much appreciate advice from some of you who have already installed
> 8.04 in a dual boot with Vista.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Perhaps:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bdualboot+%2Bvista
>

> will help?
>

>  I tried that already, but thanks for the suggestion. Lots of information,
> but nothing about a Vista dual boot with 8.04 on a laptop. I've downloaded
> the Wubi-8.04.exe file. Is that a fully functional installation? How is it
> different from a "normal" dual boot? It says it plays with Vista, but do I
> need another piece of software to configure the boot up choice? Does it use
> Grub?
> Rick
>
>  --
> This comes to you from Deep-Thought VII: Rick's digital office, classroom
> and entertainment center

Flávio Coutinho da Costa