Low WiFi rates (Hardy 64Bit, Intel Pro Wireless 3945)

Phil Bieber philbieber at gmail.com
Sun May 4 15:12:04 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 10:12 PM,  <gschaefr at comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]

<--snip -->

>  Phil,
>
>  Your one WiFi test may or may not have been valid, as the Ubuntu live CD
>  is intended to allow you to sample its functionality, not its performance.
>  Many if not most functions improve vastly in performance one the user
>  installs Ubuntu on a hard disk. You may be giving up on Ubuntu too soon.
>
>  I use wired Ethernet on Comcast cable, but I've seen download speeds
>  in excess of 500 MB/sec. Server load can also affect that drastically, and
>  buffer setup overhead would also degrade such a small (9MB) download.
>
>  Jerry

Hi Jerry,
I would definitely agree, but with Feisty and Gutsy my WiFi speeds
were exciding 700KB/s and my wired speeds still occasionally crack the
1000KB. Also, surfing is impossible when downloading anything and I
would assume that a 14MBit DSL connection is able to handle a 30KB/s
download plus some easy surfing. At least it is possible with Windows.
I really enjoyed Ubuntu for some years now. The first thing happening
to my current notebook (2 years old) was that Ubuntu was installed.
The one before was Ubuntu-only. It's sad to see that it comes down to
this.

Cheers anyhow

Phil Bieber
--
Avoid rape - say yes!

Warnings from the manual for Layer Express v2 (an AutoCAD extension):
Written on Page 12 (Blank page separating Ch. 1 & 2):
 To reduce the risk of shock,
 Do not remove the cover of this book.
 No serviceable components inside.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber at gmail.com

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber Work): 0x3E43576A
FINGERPRINT: F043 92A1 2A2C 5256 52A9 DECB A39F B04C 3E43 576A
Philipp Bieber - philipp.bieber at gundlach.de