how to install TV application on Ubuntu

Clayton smaug42 at gmail.com
Sun May 4 08:25:15 UTC 2008

> I want to see Tv on my ubuntu, but I have no idea what packages I can
> apt-get or where I can find them.
> Would someone suggest me the package list?
> appreciate your help,

You haven't really given enough information... Do you have a TV tuner
(USB, PCI card etc) attached/installed?  Do you want to watch TV in a
small window?  Do you want to build a full blown media center with
full TV and video management?  Do you use Gnome? KDE?  Do you actually
want broadcast TV, or just to view AVI/MPG video, or do you want P2P
Live TV?

MythTV is nice for setting up your computer as a media center.  I use
it all the time for watchign DVB-T TV and watching my AVI/MPGs (there
are also plugins for internet video source like YouTube).

For just watching TV in a small window.. there are loads of
applications... KDETV, TVTime, XAWTV, Kaffine, Xine, etc etc, but this
assumes you have a TV tuner of some sort.

For P2P TV, it can really depend on what country you are in and if
Linux is supported... Zattoo for example has a Linux P2P TV client,
and is available in most of western Europe.  Another is Miro, or
SopCast.. and dozens of others.

So... options options.. but you really need to define better exactly
what it is you're hoping to get.

C.