Alpha, beta, ....

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Sun May 4 03:04:33 UTC 2008

Florian Diesch <diesch at spamfence.net> wrote:

> "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > Is there a way to find out which pieces of 8.04 are
>  > in what state? Alpha, beta, whatever? Seems to
>  > me we need one.
>
>  The version number doesn't say anything about how stable or usable a
>  software is so there's no point in searching for alpha and beta
>  versions.

If the developers say it is alpha or beta, that tells me something.
Of course it is not the whole story, but I'd say it is useful. There
are probably exceptions to make later, but as a first cut at policy
for a heavily used machine, I'd like to ensure none are installed.

>  And as Ubuntu and Debian quite often apply some patches it's often
>  difficult to compare the versions of a packaged software to the
>  version numbers on the developers web site.

Good point.

--
Sandy Harris,
Nanjing, China