RaLink RT2600 on Hardy Not Working

Schiz0 schiz0phrenic21 at gmail.com
Sun May 4 00:30:12 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 5:03 PM, "Terrell Prudé Jr."
<microman at cmosnetworks.com> wrote:

>  As nutty as this sounds, try replacing "wlan0" with "eth0".  My wireless
> interfaces always show up as either eth0 or eth1, depending on the box.
>
>  Also, do a "cat /proc/net/dev" and see if wlanX or ethX is in there.
>
>  --TP
>
> _______________________________
>  Do you GNU?
>  Microsoft Free since 2003--the ultimate antivirus protection!
>

>  Schiz0 wrote:
>  I have a PCI wireless network card. It worked perfectly fine in Gusty.
> I got a new HDD recently and installed Hardy from scratch, and now the
> wireless card isn't working. Whenever I try to bring up the interface,
> I get the error "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory".
>
> Here's the output from multiple commands:
>
> sudo lscpi:
> 03:02.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2600 802.11 MIMO
>
> sudo lshw -C network:
>  *-network DISABLED
>  product: RT2600 802.11 MIMO
>  vendor: RaLink
>  physical id: 2
>  bus info: pci at 0000:03:02.0
>  logical name: wmaster0
>  version: 00
>  serial: 00:50:18:4e:7b:29
>  width: 32 bits
>  clock: 33MHz
>  capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
>  configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rt61pci ip=192.168.1.234
> latency=32 module=rt61pci multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
>
> sudo lsmod | grep rt:
> parport_pc 41128 0
> parport 44300 2 parport_pc,lp
> rt61pci 27648 0
> rt2x00pci 12800 1 rt61pci
> rt2x00lib 25344 2 rt61pci,rt2x00pci
> rfkill 10128 1 rt2x00lib
> input_polldev 6928 1 rt2x00lib
> crc_itu_t 3584 1 rt2x00lib
> mac80211 192532 3 rt61pci,rt2x00pci,rt2x00lib
> iTCO_vendor_support 5764 1 iTCO_wdt
> eeprom_93cx6 3840 1 rt61pci
>
> cat /etc/network/interfaces:
> iface wlan0 inet static
>  address 192.168.1.243
>  netmask 255.255.255.0
>  gateway 192.168.1.1
>  wireless-key s:InsertASCIIPassHere
>  wireless-essid InsertSSIDHere
> auto wlan0
>
> sudo iwconfig:
> lo no wireless extensions.
> wmaster0 no wireless extensions.
> wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
>  Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
>  Tx-Power=0 dBm
>  Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346 B
>  Encryption key:off
>  Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
>  Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
>  Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
>
> sudo ifconfig wlan0 up:
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

Oddly enough, I just noticed that Ubuntu isn't detecting my wired
ethernet port either. It's integrated into my Intel motherboard. It is
enabled in my bios. And it was detected on Gusty perfectly fine too. I
was trying to route my connection wired through my windows laptop
(which connects wirelessly just fine), but I realized that the ubuntu
box doesn't even have a eth0 for the wired connection :-\

cat /proc/net/dev shows that I have lo, wmaster0, and wlan0.