Upgrade to 8.04 interrupted by a kernel panic -- shouldn't the upgrade tool be able to recover?

Michael Peek peek at tiem.utk.edu
Sat May 3 22:22:56 UTC 2008

Hello ubuntu gurus,

I was in the process of upgrading my wife's laptop to 8.04 when it was
interrupted by a kernel panic (I think -- I caught the words "critical
temperature reached" flash on the screen as it went down).

At the time that this happened the upgrade tool had downloaded all of
the required packages and was in the process of installing them.

I fixed the laptop by giving it a few minutes to cool off while I
worriedly cursed it under my breath for good measure.

After turning the machine back on, it presented me with a blank brown
X11 screen and nothing ever came up.

After cntrl-alt-f1, login, sudo dpkg --configure -a, and finally a
reboot, it appears that everything is back to rights.

If I can make a suggestion, I think that once the upgrade tool has
downloaded all of the required packages, it should install a temporary
init script that does this for you just in case this kind of event
should occur.

Michael