how can you tell which programs are using esd?

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Sat May 3 21:48:05 UTC 2008

how can you tell which programs are using esd? I've tried this:

root at monkey:/etc# netstat -a --program | grep esd
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     232594
17042/esd           /tmp/.esd-1000/socket
unix  3      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     232601
17042/esd           /tmp/.esd-1000/socket
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM                   232593   17042/esd

which I think tells me that something is connected to the esd socket at
/tmp/.esd-1000/socket. But it doesn't tell me what is connecting to esd
- I thought there would be another entry for the program that was at the
other end of the connection. (I'm just playing stuff through 'listen' at
the moment - just curious about how to find this out if I need to know
what programs are using the sound card.)

andy.