Wifi not working on Dell Latitude D520

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat May 3 21:25:27 UTC 2008

Haneef Bashir wrote:

> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:36 PM, Phil Bieber <philbieber at gmail.com
> <mailto:philbieber at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 5:40 AM, Haneef Bashir
>     <darkfena313 at gmail.com <mailto:darkfena313 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > Hello all
>     > i just installed Hardy on a Dell Latitude D520 and wifi isnt
>     working does
>     > any one have a suggestion on how to fix this? thanks in advance.
>
>     Hi!
>     Before we can help you, we would need to know, what kind of Wireless
>     NIC you are using. And what version of Ubuntu you are running.
>

> its a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Ah, that uses the Broadcom chipset.  I'll bet if you do an "lspci",
you'll see Broadcom wireless in there.

I just did this on Hardy last week.  Fire up Synaptic and search for
"bcm43xx".  A package will show up for a Broadcom wireless driver.  Go
ahead and install it.  You may need to have both universe and multiverse
enabled.  When you install it, there will also be an option to install
the Broadcom "firmware"; you may need to search for "fwcutter" in
Synaptic if it doesn't show up during the "bcm43xx" search.  Anyhoo,
install that as well.  If you get a bunch of files in /lib/firmware,
then that's a good thing.  If you don't, let us know.

This ought to do the trick.

--TP