Multiple grub menu.lst?

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sat May 3 20:48:22 UTC 2008

Charlie Zender wrote:

>> And just for kicks, what happens when you try to mount boot?
>> sudo mount /boot
>
> zender at virga:~$  sudo mount /boot
> sudo: unable to resolve host virga
> mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /boot busy

Hey Charlie, sorry this is taking so long and has so much back an
forth..  Here is what I think has happened.

At some point prior to your upgrade to Hardy, the system became unable
to mount the /boot partition.  Consequently, when the update to hardy
was done, any files that get written to /boot are not going into the
partition that Grub needs to start up, so only old files from your

What I do not understand, from the error message, is why you cannot
mount /boot from the command line.  Clearly the UUID in your fstab is
resolving to the correct location.

But before we fix that, first we need to grab a copy of the /boot you
currently see, (with the hardy files), so that when the partition is
finally mounted, you will be able to copy the files into it.

mkdir ~/boot_backup
sudo cp -a /boot/ /boot_backup

Then we can try to mount /boot.  make sure you have no files in /boot
open, and that none of your command shells are currently in /boot

Then try a sudo mount /boot again.

If it still fails, type dmesg and see if any of the more recent messages
are errors relating to /dev/sda1.  Also, try to run sudo fuser /boot to
see if any processes are listed as accessing /boot