#K# Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop but... Server Kernel ?

Thilo Six T.Six at gmx.de
Fri May 2 21:49:27 UTC 2008

Kleber Vieira de Araújo wrote the following on 02.05.2008 23:23

> Hello, guys.
>
> I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my 4MB RAM laptop and I just wanna

actually for a 4MB RAM the generic should be enough  ;)
i guess that's a mistake and should have been 4GB?

> install "Server Kernel" instead of "Generic" for supporting all memory
> installed (PAE SUPPORT).
> Do you know how can I perform it using APT-GET ?
>
> Thanks, all.

$ sudo aptitude install linux-server

$ grep HIGHMEM /boot/config-2.6.24-16-generic
# CONFIG_DEBUG_HIGHMEM is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
# CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM is not set
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y
# CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G is not set

quote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension:
Physical Address Extension (PAE) refers to a feature of x86 and x86-64
processors that allows more than 4 gigabytes (GB) of physical memory to be
used in 32-bit systems.

I am really no expert in this, but i wonder if s.o. has 4GB do you really
need an other kernel with those kernel config above?

What gives you 'free'?
--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09