Swap partition sizes Was: Best partition size for Ubuntu Root

Fri May 2 13:08:29 UTC 2008

On Fri, 02 May 2008 20:05:57 +0800
SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux <i-ubux at synass.net> wrote:

> Hi Leafman,
> I second Ioannis statement with 2* RAM size !
> I would recommend first 2* (system's max) RAM size !!

Doesn't this date from Solaris 7 or something? Actually, even that was swap == system memory, I think.

If I've 4Gb of RAM, chances are there's little cause for me to want 4Gb of swap on top of that.
In fact, in order to hibernate, I've got 4Gb of swap. I've only ever once see it use swap (a whole 2% when running Vista and XP VMs).

I'd go with (system memory)+(swap)+(a bit) = (normal system memory requirements at normal load).

--
Avi Greenbury