new hard drive

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Fri May 2 07:39:27 UTC 2008

scott wrote:
> I have a problem that I haven't encountered before on linux. My hard
> drive is almost full.

Isn't every drive filled to >90% after a short time of using it? And
that's indepedent of the operating system or disk size :)

> I am wondering what I can do. Install a second drive and copy all my
> partitions, then remove the old drive and still have a bootable drive?

I wouldn't copy partitions because then you still have the same partition
sizes. Instead I would make the partitons on the new disk bigger and then
copy all files from the old disk to the new disk.

And if you copy the partitions it is no yet bootable. You should run the
command grub-install with the appropriate arguments to install grub to
the boot sector of the new disk. And you will have to
adjust /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/fstab of the new disk to use the
correct UUIDs for the partitions of the new disk.

Nils