Best partition size for Ubuntu Root

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Fri May 2 04:37:28 UTC 2008

On Thursday 01 May 2008 06:47:09 pm Young wrote:
> I'm preparing to do a complete re-install using 8.04. It's a dual boot
> system with multiple drives, and I plan to re-partion the drives before
> hand so I can improve my back-up scheme, and better share media files,
> documents and email  between the two OSs.
>
> I'm trying to determine the largest expected size for Ubuntu plus an
> average assortment of applications.
>
> Any suggestions?

OK, a few days ago I asked quite the same type of question, however once I got
into researching the thing, it turns out Ubuntu doesn't partition like other
distros.  I have a 160 GB drive in this from the factory Ubuntu laptop
install and it turns out the drive is ONE partition, of which 9.4 gig is
currently used!  I'm used to the way other distros partition which ususally
means you can trash the "system" partition all you want but the user info is
held safe in the /home partition.  Ubuntu seems to put it all in a single
partition.  In this case, it seems that there is not a real set answer to
your question.  Minimum may be 10-12 gig or so but max is whatever you got.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org