custom ubuntu repository server on Dell Latitude D600

Roberto de Sousa r_de_sousa at yahoo.com
Fri May 2 03:47:39 UTC 2008

Hi Rashkae,
Thanks for your solution. this is the sources.list where in the line should i put to point to the ftp server?

Thanks,

Roberto

Rashkae <ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote: Roberto de Sousa wrote:
> Hello all,
> I need some advise as to how to make my dell Latitude to be a repository server. I got a very slow internet connection here so, it would be great if i can configure my laptop to be a repository server and therefore, i could use it as Server to allow other machine to get ubuntu installation from it. A step by step instruction will be helpful.
>
> I try to googgled it but a lot of instruction on the internet that rather makes me confused...
>
> Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roberto

You need access to very high speed internet.  Making a complete mirror
will require to download over 40GB of data (per version)

Intall the debmirror package.

Create a directory to store all this.  /home/ftp/ubuntu is a good
candidate, since you will be able to share that easily via ftp.

debmirror --passive \
--host=your.favorite.ubuntu.repo --root=ubuntu/ \
   --method=ftp  --progress  \
   --dist=gutsy,gutsy-updates,gutsy-security \
   --section=main,restricted,universe,multiverse \
    --arch=amd64,i386 \
  --ignore-release-gpg ubuntu

Note how my script retrieves both 64-bit and 32-bit binaries.  You may
only want one of the two.

Once you have your shiny new ubuntu mirror, you need to install a ftp
server.  I believe vsftpd is the most common.  After all that, your
computer should be ready to be a repo server for any other computer on
your network.  Just change the /etc/apt/sources.list to point to your
own ftp server.