Hardy Heron Live CD startup

Peter Hillier-Brook phb at hbsys.plus.com
Thu May 1 17:49:56 UTC 2008

Anonymous wrote:
> I would try a gutsy live CD and see if that works.

[cut]

Thanks for your response(s). It seems that I worded my original question
less than clearly in that I was looking for some diagnostic input, not
suggestions for alternatives.

I'm presently quite happy with Debian Etch and was just interested to
see if Ubuntu was now viable as an alternative. On an AMD Athlon 64
system with a modern PCIE graphics card, both the i386 and AMD 64 live
CDs are indeed viable, but it would seem that older graphics cards give
the installer a headache on my Pentium systems.

This I wouldn't mind, but for the lack of any useful diagnostic output
when it fails. A BusyBox shell prompt gives nothing to work with on one
machine and the other just freezes as 'X' starts up.

Peter HB