switching distros

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Thu May 1 11:08:42 UTC 2008

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 30.04.2008, 15:18 -0700 schrieb Pastor JW:

>  Mention was made that the User ID number was different
> (500 instead of 1000 or something like that).  Can this be done and perhaps
> edit the User ID to fit the new system?
no, you shouldnt edit the ID debian based systems (as ubuntu is one)
expect normal user accounts to start at the ID 1000. backop teh data
from teh /home directory (or if you have a /home partition make sure its
left alone during install), create a user as you like and after install
restore that backup (our mount the /home partition) and run:

sudo chown -R $USER.$USER /home/$USER/

(note that $USER gets automatically replaced with the username of the
logged in person)

that will (instead of breaking your password file setup) just give the
files to the new user ;)

ciao
	oli