Ubuntu holding onto invalid dns entries

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Thu May 1 11:05:50 UTC 2008

N. Pauli wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I've just moved whatever runs on server.mydomain.com from one machine at a
> hosting company to another at the same company. Having done that I
> contacted the company that hold our A records and asked them to change the
> A record for server.mydomain.com to point to the IP address of this new
> machine - which they duly did.
>
> On all the windows machines on the network browsing to server.mydomain.com
> gets you to the new machine. However, browsing on my ubuntu workstation
> always takes me back to the old machine. I've tried running nscd and doing
> 'sudo /etc/init.d/nscd restart' to flush the DNS cache - to no avail.

what is in your /etc/resolv.conf as the name server for your ubuntu
machine? and is that the same nameserver as the windows machine.

In otherwords, are you sure its the local cache of the dns record that is
the problem and not one out there on the net?

--
Alan
(via webmail - means I am away from my computer)