Ubuntu 8.04 Is Ready to Take On Windows

Francis Earl francis.earl at gmail.com
Thu May 1 06:40:40 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 23:16 -0700, michael wilson wrote:
> Of course, the main reason linux (ubuntu) will never over take windows
> is the same reason Mac will never over take windows...MONEY.

If Microsoft successfully take over Yahoo, they will be in debt.

> Symantec makes windows software (primarily and first) because of
> money.
> Adobe makes windows software (primarily and first) because of money.

Symantec and Adobe both make products for Linux... Adobe recently joined
the Linux Foundation to further their efforts.

> every startup wants to either be the next Microsoft or be bought by
> Microsoft.

Or Google, these days.

> Ubuntu is great, but the FREE model does not make much money.

Ubuntu/Canonical aren't closed to the possibility of including
proprietary stuff, and Red Hat is a multi billion dollar company SOLELY
from free software... you sell support, not software.

> Sorry, but that is the truth.  Keep trying with the grass roots
> efforts and little by little home users will use it more and more, but
> thats about it.

Fortunately, most have bigger expectations than you seem to have.
Although I agree it is difficult to get Linux into peoples hands in the
US... many countries outside of the US are dropping Windows altogether,
and Microsoft is actually in China right now begging them to at least
pay for Linux so software doesn't lose its value.

Microsoft is scared right now, and it is justified. Quite an army Linux
has gained: http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Members . Those companies
and others earned about $45 billion from Linux in 2007, and it is
expected to grow to more than $60 billion by 2010 according to many
analysts.