Using alt in applications

Kenneth P. Turvey kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com
Thu May 1 04:45:53 UTC 2008

I use NetBeans under Ubuntu on a daily basis.  This is a great setup for
Java development, but there are a few things about it that I find
annoying.

The biggest of these is that I can't use the alt key in NetBeans.
Whenever I hit alt something the operating system seems to intercept the
key before NetBeans gets to see it.

Is there a way to tell Ubuntu to use the Windows key or something instead
of the alt key?  Basically a way to substitute meta keys for the
operating system?  Or do I have to go through and change every keyboard
shortcut individually?

If I have to change them all individually, is there a way to tell it to
use the windows key here?

Thanks.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet at squeakydolphin.com>I