VirtualBox OSE + USB

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 1 00:11:55 UTC 2008

The recent thread regarding "how to install vmware workstation" enticed
me enough to finally getting around to installing VirtualBox on one of
my Hardy systems. I used the VB from the repos, and as a test installed
WinXPPro. Magic!

However, I could not manage to get USB support working. I
googled/yahooed around and tried most of the methods found; including

https://bugs.launchpad.net/virtualbox/+bug/156085
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virtualbox/+bug/151585
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/747
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/USB_on_Ubuntu_7.04
etc

And still haven't managed to get USB support working. So, my question is:

Should I just blow out the repo version and try to use use the PUEL
version (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) instead? There is no
hardy version on the Sun site, only gutsy & less.

Suggestions?