java 6 webstart plugins for firefox?

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Mon Mar 31 14:20:56 UTC 2008

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:

>> Webstart is not a browser plugin but an application that handles .jnlp
>> files (MIME-type application/x-java-jnlp-file).
>
> Yes and no.  To get webstart he needs sun-java6-plugins, afaik.

Well, if you mean with this that the 64-bit version of Sun's JRE, for
example, is not only missing the Java plugin but also Java Web Start,
you're right.
But whatever the connection between plugin and Web Start might be (if
there is any), it's completely irrelevant here. One doesn't need to have
the Java plugin installed to use Web Start. In fact, I'm using the
32-bit javaws from a 64-bit firefox.

Regards
  mks