Firewall with Ubuntu

Joseph ubuntu at e-pops.org
Mon Mar 31 12:25:27 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-31 at 09:01 +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:37:40 +0100
> "Steve Flynn" <anothermindbomb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Joseph <ubuntu at e-pops.org> wrote:
> >
> > >  If I may ask....   which firewall do any of you feel is the best for use
> > > with Ubuntu?  And why do you feel it's better?
> >
> > IPTables is a bit of a de-facto standard.
>
> Perhaps Joseph is looking for a simple GUI front end. In that case I would
> recommend Firestarter (for gnome) or Guarddog ( for KDE).
>
> Peter

I appreciate everyone's input....   from all of you, Shuai Yu, Steve
Flyyn and you Peter.

I suppose this gives me another questions.  There are three options
here, in apparently two types, which are:

        IPTables
                Firestarter (for gnome) or Guarddog ( for KDE)

What's the difference in them?  How are Firestarter and Guarddog (a
simple GUI front end) similar and how are these two different from the
IPTables which is......??

I'm very new to Linux/Ubuntu and all the options and how things work...
that's why I tend to ask so many questions.  I just want to know as much
as possble so I make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance....

Joseph Snurr
http://e-pops.org/aeamt/GT/607.html