error accessing NTFS partition

Wade Smart wade at wadesmart.com
Sun Mar 30 16:36:36 BST 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 03/29/2008 08:09 AM, Wade Smart wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> There is nothing there to indicate that there is an ntfs drive or
>>> partition.
>>>
>>> This is what an ntfs entry would look like:
>>>
>>> # /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb1  /media/windows  ntfs
>>> iocharset=utf8,umask=000    0  0 /dev/sdb2  /media/sdb2     ntfs
>>> defaults                   0  0
>>>
>>> Perhaps the easiest for him would be to install a gui to modify the
>>> fstab:
>>>
>>> sudo apt-get install pysdm
>>>
>>> Then System|Administration|Storeage Device Manager
>>>
>>> Then click on the arrow at sda or sdb whichever is the ntfs drive
>>> and follow the defaults. Afterwards you should be able to use a
>>> terminal to:
>>>
>>> sudo mount -a
>>>
>>> and see the drive(s) appear on the desktop.
>>>
>>> It would also be helpful if you can get him to provide the output
>>> (from the terminal) of:
>>>
>>> sudo fdisk -l
>>>

>> 03292008 1001 GMT-6
>>
>> Thanks for that info NoOp. I passed it along and he is doing that
>> now.
>>
>> Secondary question: Im thinking that because this situation is such a
>> unstable one, is there a good file compression software to compress
>> his 200gb of backed up data and move it off the ntfs partition and
>> then he can reformat to a linux partition and then uncompress his
>> data. Just looking through synaptic there are a lot of them.
>
> You can unzip tar.gz files in windows. 7-zip does a rather good job on
> both sides (gz and zip):
>
> http://www.7-zip.org/
>
> However, with that much data you'd have to break it into chunks, and it
> might be worth just buying another drive for backup.
>
>> He just posted to me that he tried putting the drive in an external
>> unit and access it with his laptop (unfortunately Vista) and that
>> didnt work. I told him to find a XP Pro computer and try again.
>
> Are we now talking about the USB drive ("He also said that he has a
> external drive that is usb and it is also ntfs and that he can access
> it.") or the original drive with:
>
>> It was originally a duel boot machine with three partitions.
>> 1 was ntfs for windows
>> 1 was ntfs data for windows
>> 1 was for ubuntu.
>
> What was the output of:
>
> sudo fdisk -l
>
> ??

03302008 1031 GMT-6

Yes it was an external usb drive. He found a xp pro machine and plugged it in
and it worked perfect. So he shut down the machine and then tried it (as a usb
drive still) on his ubuntu machine and it still worked perfect.

And for the fdisk:
sudo fdprash at prash-desktop:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xacaa2974

/dev/hda1   *           1        4678    37576003+  83  Linux
/dev/hda2            4679        4865     1502077+   5  Extended
/dev/hda5            4679        4865     1502046   82  Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x70ed2ff6

/dev/sda1               1       30401   244196001    7  HPFS/NTFS
prash at prash-desktop:~$

Wade