Parted

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Sun Mar 30 23:09:31 UTC 2008

KArl,

Karl Larsen wrote:
> David Vincent wrote:

> something is wrong with your system then because parted/gparted/qtparted
> all do recognize windows file systems.  ntfs, fat16 and fat32.  run a
> chkdsk /f /r on your windows partition and see what's up.  you didn't
> hibernate windows before trying to resize the partition did you?  you
> will need to shut windows down cleanly.
>
> /me suspects operator error
>
>>     Well for your acute information MY Ubuntu has no gparted or qtparted
>> on it as well as no chkdsk. The parted I have is version 1.7.1 and it is
>> all I have.
>
> -d
>
> /mw wonders what can of worms he's just opened
>

>     No but the hard disk is on. I used parted /dev/sda check and it said
> it didn't know anything about the file system.  So perhaps I can get the
> other stuff by apt-get but why do you think it will work?

You can certainly install gparted using synaptic or apt-get or aptitude,
whichever you prefer.

You could also boot from the Ubuntu Desktop CD, and you will find
gparted under System->Administratrion->Partition Editor

gparted definitely can definitely do things with NTFS partitions. I've
used it to resize NTFS partitions in the past quite successfully. You
may need to install the package ntfsprogs for it to do this.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold