error accessing NTFS partition

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 30 22:19:56 UTC 2008

On 03/30/2008 08:48 AM, Wade Smart wrote:

> Yes it was an external usb drive. He found a xp pro machine and plugged it in
> and it worked perfect. So he shut down the machine and then tried it (as a usb
> drive still) on his ubuntu machine and it still worked perfect.
>
> And for the fdisk:
> sudo fdprash at prash-desktop:~$ sudo fdisk -l
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4865 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0xacaa2974
>
>     Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *           1        4678    37576003+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda2            4679        4865     1502077+   5  Extended
> /dev/hda5            4679        4865     1502046   82  Linux swap / Solaris
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0x70ed2ff6
>
>     Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1               1       30401   244196001    7  HPFS/NTFS
> prash at prash-desktop:~$

Not sure, but perhaps the conflict might be that hda and sda are being
mapped logically as the same drive? Can you provide the /etc/fstab? Also
the contents of /boot/grub/device.map and have him do:

sudo lswh > lshwprashdesktop.txt

Then go through that file and look for the drives and the logical names.
The output will show how they are mapped - example from my dual boot w/2
drives:

           *-disk:0
                product: ST340810A
                vendor: ATA
                physical id: 0
                bus info: scsi at 1:0.0.0
                logical name: /dev/sda
                version: 3.99
                serial: 5FB5TQNM
                size: 37GB
                capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
                configuration: ansiversion=5
              *-volume:0
                   physical id: 1
                   bus info: scsi at 1:0.0.0,1
                   logical name: /dev/sda1
                   capacity: 35GB
                   capabilities: primary bootable
              *-volume:1
                   physical id: 2
                   bus info: scsi at 1:0.0.0,2
                   logical name: /dev/sda2
                   size: 1466MB
                   capacity: 1466MB
                   capabilities: primary extended partitioned
partitioned:extended
                 *-logicalvolume
                      physical id: 5
                      logical name: /dev/sda5
                      capacity: 1466MB
                      capabilities: nofs
           *-disk:1
                product: ST340014A
                vendor: ATA
                physical id: 1
                bus info: scsi at 1:0.1.0
                logical name: /dev/sdb
                version: 8.01
                serial: 3JXBA3E2
                size: 37GB
                capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
                configuration: ansiversion=5
              *-volume:0
                   physical id: 1
                   bus info: scsi at 1:0.1.0,1
                   logical name: /dev/sdb1
                   capacity: 35GB
                   capabilities: primary bootable
              *-volume:1
                   physical id: 2
                   bus info: scsi at 1:0.1.0,2
                   logical name: /dev/sdb2
                   capacity: 2047MB
                   capabilities: primary

Note that both of the above drives are ide drives, not sata or usb.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge on running hda and sda at the same
time can provide some insight?