Hybernation and running applications

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Mar 30 20:48:57 UTC 2008

Florian Diesch wrote:

>>> I am running a compression program. If I choose hibernate at log out,
>>> when the system will resume tomorrow, will this compression continue
>>> from where it was left?
>>>

> Yes.
>

>> That would depend on the program (which software are you using?) but I would
>> expect not. Have you looked at the software documentation to see if it can
>> handle hibernation?
>>

> Applications don't need any special handling for hibernation (unless
> they depend on some external state like e.g. special hardware
> properties). From their point of view it just takes a long time until
> they get the next time slice from the scheduler.
>

>    Florian

This depends so much on your laptop the best way to learn how it works
is to try it. I have 2 laptops and they are as different you can not
imagine. One is tiny and slim and has a small screen. The other is big
and heavy and has a full 15" screen. When you close them the big one
saves what you were doing for several hours or days. The small one just
turns off. They are both Sony laptops.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI