Failed to remove a pkg

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 16:01:26 UTC 2008

I tried to remove ` icedtea-java7-plugin' using four different
 methods. No go. Any other suggestion would be appreciated.

 I am running Hardy beta

 (iqbala)@ghar:~$ sudo apt-get purge icedtea-java7-plugin
 Reading package lists... Done
 Building dependency tree
 Reading state information... Done
 The following packages will be REMOVED:
  icedtea-java7-plugin*
 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
 1 not fully installed or removed.
 After this operation, 139kB disk space will be freed.
 Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
 dpkg: error processing icedtea-java7-plugin (--purge):
  Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
  reinstall it before attempting a removal.
  icedtea-java7-plugin

 (iqbala)@ghar:~$ sudo aptitude reinstall icedtea-java7-plugin
 Reading package lists... Done
 Building dependency tree
 Reading state information... Done
 Reading extended state information
 Initializing package states... Done
 Building tag database... Done
 The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
  icedtea-java7-plugin
 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and
 0 not upgraded.
 Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
 Writing extended state information... Error!
 E: I wasn't able to locate file for the icedtea-java7-plugin package.
 This might mean you need to manually fix this package.

 Tried to remove using synaptics. I get an incomplete error message

  "E: icedtea-java7-plugin: Package is in a very bad inconsistent
 state - you should"

 (iqbala)@ghar:~$ sudo apt-get remove icedtea-java7-plugin
 Reading package lists... Done
 Building dependency tree
 Reading state information... Done
 The following packages will be REMOVED:
  icedtea-java7-plugin
 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
 1 not fully installed or removed.
 After this operation, 139kB disk space will be freed.
 Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
 dpkg: error processing icedtea-java7-plugin (--remove):
  Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
  reinstall it before attempting a removal.
  icedtea-java7-plugin

 Asif Iqbal
 PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu