Gutsy on one partion/Hardy on another

SYNass IT Ubuntu / Linux i-ubux at synass.net
Sun Mar 30 11:04:26 UTC 2008

Hi Gregoire
Merci pour votre assistance !

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 08:38 +0000, Grégoire . wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The best is to have grub at  the first place of your hard drive, that is the mbr !
> Then you can configure grub from the last installation of ubuntu you 've done, by editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst (tip the command lline  sudo gedit /boot/menu.lst )
>
> good luck

Yes, that's the usual and standard solution !
I used this for the simple WIN / Ubuntu setup already and it worked !!
No problem like this !!! ;-D

> > Subject: Re: Gutsy on one partion/Hardy on another
> > From: i-ubux at synass.net
> > To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> > Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 14:01:08 +0800
> >

> > On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 21:36 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> >> What is the easiest way to install Hardy on a separate partion?
> >
> > I do have a specific question regarding /boot & GRUB in such a setup:
> >
> > Do I place GRUB in MBR ...
> > ... or better int the respective partition ???
> >
> > Finally the notebook will have 4 OS selectable:
> >
> > prim / NTFS - sys in 1st C: Original Installation of WXPP
> > prim - OS/2 Bootmanager (mandatory)
> > prim / HPFS - sys in 2nd C: OS/2 Warp 4.52
> >
> > log / ext3 - 3rd sys is Ubuntu PROD ie Gutsy
> > log / ext3 - 4th sys is Ubuntu TEST ie Hardy
> >
> > Without the 4th I was able to get my configuration running ! ;-)
> >
> > Between 1st and 2nd is the OS/2 Bootmanager and
> > GRUB was placed into the respective Ubuntu !!!
> >
> > How do I best with Ubuntu installed twice ??
> >
> > Your enlightening, hints, suggestions and warnings are hot awaited
> > here ! ;-)
> >
> > TIA and cheers, svobi

The problem indeed comes with the new setup which has to
include OS/2 Warp and its Bootmanager !
A simple setup with these 3 OS'es already worked without problems
already too,
where GRUB was in Ubuntu 7.10's partition and integrated in OS/2
Bootmanager too !! ;-D

The problem now is more the intended setup with one more Ubuntu
partition:
Additional to the first PROD-uctive single Ubuntu setup I plan a TEST
second Ubuntu and
as Linux newbie I have no experience and fond knowledge how to setup
best !!! ;-|

Any more hints and suggestions ?

Au revoir and cheers, svobi