Gutsy Upgrade problem

Rick Knight rick_knight at rlknight.com
Sun Mar 30 03:40:06 UTC 2008

NoOp wrote:
> On 03/29/2008 03:11 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
>

>> Can tell me what I've done wrong or point me to some better Upgrade
>> instructions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick
>>

> Sure:
>

>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades
>>   http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
>>

> You probably missed the "Upgrading using the alternate CD/DVD" section.
>
> What happens when you place the alternate CD in the drive while you are
> in Feisty?

Nothing happens.

When I use the instruction "If the upgrade dialog is not displayed for
any reason, you may also run the following command using Alt+F2: " I get
the kdesu dialog but then nothing happens. If I run the sam command from
a terminal I get this...

[: 23: 7.10: unexpected operator

Could not find the upgrade application in the archive, exiting

tar: /media/Kubuntu: Cannot open: No such file or directory

tar: Child returned status 2
tar: 7.10: Not found in archive
tar: i386/dists/stable/main/dist-upgrader/binary-all//gutsy.tar.gz: Not
found in archive

rick at rick:~$

When I insert the CD, it is auto-mounted at /media/Kubuntu 7.10 i386. I
think the spaces in the mount point are causing the problem. I'll try
and mount the cd at /media/cdrom. I'll post the results.

Thanks,
Rick