error accessing NTFS partition

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 15:09:41 GMT 2008

NoOp wrote:
> There is nothing there to indicate that there is an ntfs drive or partition.
>
> This is what an ntfs entry would look like:
>
> # /dev/sdb1
> /dev/sdb1  /media/windows  ntfs iocharset=utf8,umask=000    0  0
> /dev/sdb2  /media/sdb2     ntfs  defaults                   0  0
>
> Perhaps the easiest for him would be to install a gui to modify the fstab:
>
> sudo apt-get install pysdm
>
> Then System|Administration|Storeage Device Manager
>
> Then click on the arrow at sda or sdb whichever is the ntfs drive and
> follow the defaults. Afterwards you should be able to use a terminal to:
>
> sudo mount -a
>
> and see the drive(s) appear on the desktop.
>
> It would also be helpful if you can get him to provide the output (from
> the terminal) of:
>
> sudo fdisk -l

03292008 1001 GMT-6

Thanks for that info NoOp. I passed it along and he is doing that now.

Secondary question: Im thinking that because this situation is such a unstable
one, is there a good file compression software to compress his 200gb of backed
up data and move it off the ntfs partition and then he can reformat to a linux
partition and then uncompress his data. Just looking through synaptic there are
a lot of them.

He just posted to me that he tried putting the drive in an external unit and
access it with his laptop (unfortunately Vista) and that didnt work. I told him
to find a XP Pro computer and try again.

wade