Pointer problem

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sat Mar 29 13:59:50 UTC 2008

    I am having an odd occurance with my Ubuntu version 7.10 fully
updated. My computer has a lot of nVidia hardware and using lspci I get
this line for the video hardware:

 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51G [GeForce 6100] (rev a

This tells me that a nVidia GeForce 6100 video hardware is what my
computer has.

    I got the proper ubuntu driver for this version of hardware and it
did make the better looking Desktop but it has a flaw. When viewing
complex scenes like Google presents the driver goes nuts and you lose
all contact with the driver and the keyboard and the mouse.

    Had to turn off the nice driver software and now using the nv basic
nVidia driver and the problem with complex images goes away. The video
system is not great but it almost works.

    The problem now is that when I start the computer it comes up but
there is no arrow on the pointer. So it is quite hard to use the mouse.
I have got good at re-booting and doing that always brings the pointer back.

    I recall a line I put in /etc/X11/xorg.conf that caused the pointer
to always show up. But I forget what it is. I think it was Option
"pointer"    "use software"
Something like that.

    Does anyone recall the exact thing to add?

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User