Downloading and system info

Joseph ubuntu at e-pops.org
Fri Mar 28 15:35:01 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 15:19 +0000, Wulfy wrote:

> Joseph wrote:
>

> > I am brand new to Ubuntu, but I think I'm going to like it.
> >
> > However, I'm wanting to download an HTML editing program at
> > http://packages.ubuntu.com/bluefish and it gives several options....
> > and I'm not sure what to take.
> >
> > It says I've searched and found 1 package....   but there's a list
> > of seven things.
> >
> > I want to master Ubuntu, but it seems I must start with downloads.
> > It seems that I need to know the processor (i.e. AMD64) and this
> > system was given to me in parts and I built it.  But I'm not sure of
> > the processor except that it's 1000Mhz.  Of course I may be wrong in
> > my assumptions.  Ubuntu is definitely different.
> >
> > Thanks for any assistance.
> >
> > Oh yes, I'll be looking for a good FTP program as I cannot use my
> > old Smart FTP for Sindows.
> >
> > Again, thanks....
> >

> > Joseph Snurr
> > http://e-pops.org/aeamt/GT/607.html
>
> Why not use the package manager?  It's designed to handle those
> details for you.  Not only that, but it ensures that everything that
> package needs to run properly (dependencies) are also installed.

That makes sense to me....   I've looked at the Package Manager, but I'm
not sure how to get the manager and download site connected....   Do I
download first, then point the package manager to where the download is?

Like I'd said, I'm brand new to this and I'm Ubuntu ignorant...   for
the time being.

Joseph