Ubuntu 64-bit server platform

James Gray james at gray.net.au
Fri Mar 28 04:19:10 UTC 2008

Services)" <KenneyW at easternct.edu> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm new to this list. I am particularly interested in your LAMP setup.
> > I need to know if the 7.10 server for 64-bit AMD and Intel computers is
> > compatible with Intel Core Two Duo CPU's.

Just don't confuse Pentium/Core processors and Itanium processors.  One is
IA32 with 64bit extensions, the other is IA64.

Ubuntu's 64bit version works fine with IA32 with 64bit extensions (late model
Pentiums, Core2 and AMD64 CPU's) but will NOT work with IA64 (Itanium)
processors.  Although, given how many people actually have access to
Itanium-based kit, I doubt this will be a problem ;)

Cheers,

James
--
You will wish you hadn't.