Why doesn't GUI upgrade 6.10 to 7.04 work as documented?

Kipton Moravec kip at kdream.com
Thu Mar 27 21:13:54 UTC 2008

I searched how to upgrade Ubuntu 6.10 to 7.04 and got two hits almost
exactly the same instructions,
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/upgrade-ubuntu-610-edgy-eft-to-ubuntu-704-feisty-fawn-2.html
http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2007/03/upgrade-ubuntu-610-edgy-eft-to-ubuntu.html

I looked on www.Ubuntu.com and could not find how to upgrade other than
download the CD.

Here were the instructions I followed:
======================================
Upgrading Ubuntu Edgy to Ubuntu Feisty

Method 1 - Using GUI

If you want to upgrade using GUI use the following command

gksu “update-manager -c ”

“-c” switch tells it to look for upgrades at all.

You should see the following screen here Now you can see 7.04 is
available for upgrade click on upgrade.
=====================================

I opened a terminal window (I thought it was a GUI method).

and typed:

gksu “update-manager -c ”

this message was displayed:
  warnings.warn("apt API not stable yet", FutureWarning)

Then the software updates screen appeared similar to what the web page
showed, but there was no option to click to upgrade to 7.04. It says my
system is up to date.

What did I do wrong? This should be simple.

Kip
--
Kipton Moravec KE5NGX
"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."