Managed to install Ubuntu but a question about Alsa

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Mar 27 19:18:11 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 12:41 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     Why the people who make the choices as to what to put in Ubuntu have
> decided to install pulseaudio is a mystery.

You sound as if nothing whatsoever was wrong before with Ubuntu audio.
Unfortunately, this is not so. The spec gives a good description of the
previous mess and the advantages in pulseaudio:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/CleanupAudioJumble

> The least they could do
> is make it a thing you can install if wanted. Then the many problems
> would just be those who added it :-)

Considering that Ubuntu is all about great defaults for casual users and
"just works" mentality, I would argue that this is not really an option.
It's more reasonable to make those users do some setup work, who are
knowledgeable and need out-of-the-ordinary applications :)

I would assume that software in Ubuntu proper, that is, the main and
restricted repositories, works out of the box. Software from universe
and multiverse is, strictly speaking, out of Ubuntu's jurisdiction, if
not completely out of its responsibility.

Though, of course I agree that ideally, nobody should have to do extra
work. Maybe the above link can help: it's full of links and advice on
not so straightforward setups.