grub lost, please help

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Mar 26 22:12:25 UTC 2008

Donny George wrote:
> it just goes to windows directly as if i had never installed ubuntu
>
> don
>

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Karl Larsen <k5di at zianet.com> wrote:
>

>> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps some Windows update/reinstallation did that, or you ran
>>> something under Windows XP's rescue mode.

>> could

>>     It would help if you tell us what happens now when you turn on your
>> computer. Do you see a Grub start and then fail with a kernel panic? Or
>> does it come up in Windows all the time?
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> --
>>
>>        Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>>        Linux User
>>        #450462   http://counter.li.org.
>>   PGP 4208 4D6E 595F 22B9 FF1C  ECB6 4A3C 2C54 FE23 53A7
>>

>> --

    OK! What happened was somehow Windows was loaded and it wrote the
windows boot message on top of the Grub message. So now Grub can't boot.

    You need to put your Ubuntu CD in the reader and boot up again with
that. When it is all up open a terminal and write this:

    $ sudo grub

It should come up in the grub mode.

Try that and if it works I will explain the next steps.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User