xorg resolution problem in Hardy

A. Kromic akromic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 21:56:50 UTC 2008

Hello everybody.

My laptop's native screeen resolution is 1024x768, and Ubuntu got it
right at first. However, something made it switch to 800x600 and I have
no way to correct it. This also means I've encountered the problem
before, in Feisty and Gutsy - it would often get a wrong max resolution
on different machines. The Screen Resolution configuration tools in
Gnome and Xfce would also report wrong resolutions, so I wouldn't be
able to switch to a correct one. The solution was simple then, I would
simply do 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg', and chose the right
resolution; or I would simply edit the xorg.conf.

In Hardy, xorg.conf is a stub file, dpkg-reconfigure doesn't offer
anything; as ususal there are no good old X configuration programs like
xorgconfig or xorgcfg.

So, how do I correct the resolution now?

Thanks,
Arni Kromic