Order of interfaces in /proc/net/dev

Paulo Estrela paulojbe at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 18:10:27 UTC 2008

Hi,

Anybody knows which define the order of interfaces listed in
/proc/net/dev? I'm using snmp to monitor my servers and when I use
snmpwalk to list server's intefaces I see that eth0 is not interface
2, but interface 3. Interface 2 is eth2. Chating with people form
net-snmp project they said that snmp interface order is bound to
/proc/net/dev interface order, but which define interface order in
this pseudo-file? In my system, /proc/net/dev looks like this:

Inter-|   Receive                                                |  Transmit
 face |bytes    packets errs drop fifo frame compressed
multicast|bytes    packets errs drop fifo colls carrier compressed
    lo:  184435     943    0    0    0     0          0         0
184435     943    0    0    0     0       0          0
  eth2:50383811  207869    0    0    0     0          0         0
21556871  148301    0    0    0     0       0          0
eth1:       0       0    0    0    0     0          0         0
0      20    0    0    0     0       0          0

--
Thanks everyone,

Paulo Estrela