Wireless HP Printers -- Was Re: Home office printer recommendations?

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:39:26 UTC 2008

Michael S. Peek wrote:
> Okay guys,
>
> I think I've found a printer that I like.  Right now I plan to go with
> an HP C7280 or C6280.  I'm partial to the C7280 since it has a built-in
> wireless card, which means my wife can put it anywhere in the house she
> wants and be able to print to it from the laptop from anywhere else in
> the house.
>
>  From my research, so long as I have hplip, foomatic*, and hpijs
> packages installed then all I have to do is plug the printer in via the
> USB port and it's automatically detected and installed -- sweet!  Thanks
> Ubuntu!
>
> ...But what if I want to install this printer as a wireless printer?
> I'm not even sure I know how to do that.
>
> I know how to install a remote printer in cups by giving an IP address,
> but isn't there a chance that the printer will get a different address
> each time it's turned on?  Does that mean that I need to configure the
> router to give it a static address?  Or will cups/hplip automagically
> figure it out somehow?
>
> Will hplip work the same to a network printer as it will to a
> USB-connected printer?  (I'm assuming it will, but I wanted to ask.)
>
> What other gotcha's should I be asking about?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Michael

03242008 0918 GMT-6

I dont know if this helps or not but this is what I have.

I purchased a Linksys Wireless Print Server which my Epson print plugs
into via usb. I set the wireless print server (WPS) up using the same
settings as my wireless router. On my windows computers I had to install
software so they could print to the WPS. Via ubuntu though, I can print
to it but the formatting is always iffy. I never know if its actually
going to come out right.

Now on my setup. I have DHCP for the wps and the linksys software takes
care of the ip if it changes but, I have in the past and still do on my
clients computers allow for a static ip to the printer - just remove
that possibility.

In your case, I dont think there is anything that will keep you from
printing if you can already print fine to the printer. In my case
Linksys linksys software gets in the way but yours should be fine.

Wade