Network off a network, but not a subnet mask

Stephen Constantinou stephanos at writeme.com
Sun Mar 23 20:30:57 UTC 2008

Dear All

I have a networking problem that I have not managed to resolve.

My Virgin Media cable modem connects to an ethernet card (red) of a
Smoothwall Firewall.  It is therefore a router.  The second ethernet
(green) card connects to a switch off of which is a PC (Dell dual boot
mandriva/XP), a HP printer and a second (wireless) router.  That second
router connects wirelessly to a laptop (Kubuntu).  There is reason for
this complicated set up.

The IP range for the Soothwall network is 192.168.1.x.  The PC is static
on 192.168.1.2, the printer is on 192.168.1.198 and the router connects
to this network on 192.168.1.175.  The range for the router is
192.168.2.x and the laptop connects wirelessly on 192.168.2.4.

The printer is accessible from the laptop and I can print OK.

When the Dell is booted into XP I want to be able to do two things
1) see the XP file system from the Kubuntu laptop.
2) from the kunbuntu laptop use VNC to remotely control the XP computer
But I have no idea how to achieve this.

Thanks and hope to hear from you

Stephen