GUI login banner at console?

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Sat Mar 22 16:40:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, H.S. wrote:

> Scott R. Ehrlich wrote:
>> I've just installed 7.10 64-bit on a workstation and want to produce a
>> multi-line text banner with an acknowledgement button (OK/Yes/whatever) on
>> the console before the username/password prompt appears.
>>
>> Under CentOS or Fedora, I would place /usr/bin/gdialog --yesno "This is my
>> long intro banner..." in /etc/X11/Xsession just after the first batch of
>> comment lines.
>>
>> What would be the equivalent way for Ubuntu Gutsy?
>
> You probably want to look in the following files (I am assuming you are
> gunning GDM login manager):
> /etc/gdm/gdm.conf  /etc/gdm/gdm.conf-custom
>
> ->HS

I tried working with those files, but didn't seem to make any difference.

I tried sudo gdmsetup with an out-of-box install, visited the Local tab,
then changed the welcome from default to custom and typed in some random
text.  Rebooted, saw no change.

After an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, revisited sudo gdmsetup, but
this time, it crashed on the Custom option, giving me a core dump.

Other ideas from anyone are welcome.

Thanks.

Scott