Can't login & hal broken

Paul Kaplan pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 22 10:25:08 UTC 2008

On Friday 21 March 2008 8:10:52 pm Chris Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 2:56 PM,  <pkaplan1 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > I'm running Kubuntu 7.10 on a Thinkpad T43 and until now haven't had any
> > significant problems.
> >
> >  I tried to install likewise-open and noticed that as soon as I attempted
> > to start it, kpowermanager lost track of my system battery (which I
> > ignored at the time).  I then discovered that my system wouldn't
> > auto-detect a USB memory stick.  When I attempted to manually mount the
> > stick, I found that the system would no longer recognize my user
> > password.  I subsequently discovered that another user's password was
> > also not recognized.
> >
> >  I tried logging on in recovery mode to reset the user passwords, but
> > this didn't allow me to log in.
> >
> >  I also tried removing the likewise-open package, but again, no change.
> >
> >  I decided to see what system services were running using the module in
> > "System Settings", but got a message that the module couldn't be loaded
> > and was told that either I have an orphaned module or an old 3rd party
> > module lying around...not helpful.
> >
> >  Any explanations?  Can someone get me pointed in the right direction to
> > fix?  I really want to avoid reinstalling the system.
>
> Having just quickly scanned the Likewise-open project's web page, I'd
> hazard a guess that likewise is trying to authenticate you against a
> Microsoft Active Directory domain.  I think it safe to assume that you
> haven't properly configured likewise yet, so I'd suggest booting from
> a live cd and then mangling the likewise configuration files, which
> should be in /etc.

Thanks for the idea.  I did find a bunch of likewise scripts in /etc/rc*,
which I deleted, as I did for several other files I found, but this didn't
solve the problem.  I'm still not able to login as a normal user even after
resetting the user password yet again.

The other problems are also still there.

Any other ideas?