hardware upgrade, HDD, RAM etc

Zhengguo Xu tworiversfolk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 01:42:05 UTC 2008

Hi all,

i was  considering upgrade HDD and memory of my Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop
and have a couple of questions.

1. from the purchase list i got when i bought the laptop, i have a "100GB
IDE hard drive" and when i took the driver out there's "Hitachi IDE/ATA"
printed on it. the HDD i wanted (at low price in store) is simply said "HDD
250GB SATA" for laptop. now, from the limited knowledge i have, ATA, or
PATA, is different from SATA. does it mean i cannot use this SATA drive in
my laptop? however, when i looked in Ubuntu's "Device Manager", it has sth
like
"/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/storage_serial_1ATA_Hitachi_HTS7210........"
the phase "serial_1ATA" appeared quite lot. does it mean SATA? I'm a newbie
so got a little confused. any help here?

2. i had Intel Pentium M 780 CPU with FSB 533MHz. my old memory card is 1GB
at 533MHz memory bus. the memory card in the store is DDR2 2048/667, i guess
that means 2048MB at 667MHz memory bus (same price as the one with 533MHz).
so, can i use this new card?

if i need provide more infomation, what command should i type? i'm not a fan
of command-line so a hint here is necessary.

many thanks.