How do I avoid the Redmond method ...

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Fri Mar 21 17:25:15 UTC 2008

On 03/21/2008 08:14 AM, Corey Bettenhausen wrote:
> Jay Ridgley wrote:
>
>> What task do I need to start, restart, reload, run, configure or load
>> that will allow the screensaver to resume the normal display activities?
>> I hate having to reboot for this...
>>
> I'm not running 6.06, but on my system gnome-screensaver is running.  Do
> a "ps aux| grep screen" in a terminal and see if it is listed.  Not sure
> what could cause it to hang though.
> Cheers,
> -Corey

Ok, not an expert, but here's a couple of thoughts.

So what I hear OP saying is: System is idle; Screensaver comes on and
shows whatever pictures; couple of hours later, screen goes blank.  OP
can wake up the system and use it, but the screen saver will not come on
again.  Is that about right?

The screen blanking could be one of the power settings designed to do
just that.  One solution might be to set screen blanking to "never"

As to the original question, after the system starts cleanly - when you
think everything is running, use the command Corey suggested and see if
gnome-screensaver is listed.  If it is some other screensaver, then
adjust the following as needed.  Assuming it is there, wait until the
behavior is exhibited again, so when you think it is broken and run the
ps command again.  If the screensaver process is there the first time,
and not the second, then try just starting it:
$gnome-screensaver

If it is there, but does not start, then (to  finally answer your
question) try

$ killall gnome-screensaver; gnome-screensaver

Note: I have not tried this, and don't use 6.06.  YMMV and someone else
may have better ideas.