Gutsy Upgrade problem

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 21 03:23:04 UTC 2008

On 03/19/2008 09:15 PM, Rick Knight wrote:
> NoOp wrote:

>> What happens when you select:
>> Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
>>
> I get the same results, whether I use the recovery mod or normal mode.
> The only difference is the message states that /dev/hdb5.
>> To ensure that the UUID's are correct in the grub file, issue:
>>
>> $ sudo update-grub

Did you do this? If not *please* do it.

>> That will place the correct UUID's in your grub file. There is no
>> similar command (that I know of) for doing the same for your fstab, so:
>>
>> $ sudo fdisk -l

Please post the results

>> Now check the UUIDs again for the drives & swap:
>>
>> $ sudo /sbin/vol_id -u /dev/sd*
>>
> rick at rick:/home/rick$ sudo /sbin/vol_id -u /dev/hdb5
> cb18ce85-3710-4259-9abb-ce8a0ca67e13

And the swap UUID's are correct?

[snip]

> For some reason I am unable to use the /dev/sd* drive designation. Even
> in Feisty I could not use /dev/sd*. I've only been able to use /dev/hd*
> and the UUID. Maybe this is part of the problem. When I change
> grub/menu.lst and fstab to use /dev/sd* my ststem will not even read
> vmlinuz from /boot.

You will *need* to use sd*. It will work with sd*, but should be changed
to UUID's when you are sure they are correct.

[snip]

>> If you are trying to boot from hdb5, this should read:
>>
>> # /dev/sdb5
>> UUID=cb18ce85-3710-4259-9abb-ce8a0ca67e13 /               ext3
>> defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
>>
> I have tried this. It doesn't work for me. with the UUID and with
> /dev/hd* I get the Busy Box prompt. With /dev/sd* it won't even begin to
> boot.

Then do sudo update-grub.

Please also just use a simple fstab, then build up once that works.

>> You might try just a simple fstab first (save your old under a different
>> name & ensure the UUID's are correct) to clear out the possibility of
>> problems with the other device definitions:
>>
>> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
>> #
>> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
>> # /dev/sdb5 (change sd* and UUID if necessary)
>> UUID=cb18ce85-3710-4259-9abb-ce8a0ca67e13 /               ext3
>> defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
>> # /dev/sdb6 (change sd* and UUID if necessary)
>> UUID=8c1fbc9c-8304-4f24-b5bb-af1626035357 none            swap    sw
>>           0       0
>> /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>> /dev/scd1       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
>> /dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>>
>> And boot. If you get the basics correct (main partition & swap) then you
>> can add in your other drives/partions one by one.
>>
>> If the above screws up your feisty drive mounts, don't panic, just boot
>> into recovery mode and change the fstab back to the old.
>>

> Why did Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Debian go to /dev/sd* drive designation? What
> kernel modules are involved? Since /dev/sd  is essentially SCSI Disk I
> assume it's part of SCSI subsystem, but what makes it see IDE/EIDE/ATA
> Hard drives? Maybe I'm missing some part of that.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingUUID

If all else fails, then I'd recommend that you boot back into the feisty
kernel and do another upgrade using the alternate CD. You can try an
online upgrade, but I find it easier to upgrade from the alternate CD
(just put it in and it should prompt you) and then do the online updates
afterwards.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GutsyUpgrades
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/upgrade-ubuntu-from-feisty-to-gutsy/