mic headphones problem

Jon Grant jg at jguk.org
Thu Mar 20 21:59:14 UTC 2008

Thanks for the tip

> On KDE in Kmix. The third tab is Switches. You'll find the 20db boost
>  there. Not sure in Gnome, but it should be somewhere similar.

I just have an "Input Source" list box, tested with the the two
options "Mic" and "Line" but no difference.

I ran "alsamixer" and could not see a +20db option there either.

I amixer |grep Mic    no boost option available there.

I did find the fix to get my Mic working though!!  I added to digg so
others can use it: http://digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_Mic_fix (digg if
you like!)

Basically snd-hda-intel needs STAC9200 model specified as "ref".

We can specify the options in either /etc/modules or /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

options snd-hda-intel model=ref

Any way to get Ubuntu to update to include this fix? I've filed bug
reports before about crashes in core components, but no fixed have
been actioned..

Cheers, Jon