Burning CD with song titles?

Jamie Dobbs jamie.dobbs at ihug.co.nz
Thu Mar 20 03:39:05 UTC 2008

> On 03/19/2008 08:17 AM, Rashkae wrote:
>> Mike Adolf wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know how to burn quality CDs including the song's title and
>>> author. I've tried K3b. It allows you to type in titles and authors and
>>> more, but after burning, the titles and authors are not on the CD?
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> If you're trying to create a music CD to play on CD players, then no,
>> you cannot.  Music CD's have no method of storing that kind of
>> information.  The only reason the computer can sometimes find that
>> information when you put in a music CD is because the computer connects
>> to a database of known music CD's over the internet to identify the disc
>> you inserted and download the relevant info... However, if you make
>> custom discs, there is no way your disc will be in that database (ie, it
>> only works for mass produced CD's)

This is incorrect. There is a system called CDTEXT that embeds the CD name
and track names on to the disc which will be displayed by compatible
players. Any burning software that support the disc type of CDTEXT will
handle this (I think K3B did when I last used it) and I know that KCD (the
KDE CD Player) supported CDTEXT the last time I used it. (as an aside my
Pioneer CD player on my home audio system also support this).