Finding my WLAN IP address.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 19:48:00 UTC 2008

On 19/03/2008, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
>  >> If you have a connection shown in knetworkmanager, then you should be
>  >> able to find the IP by right-clicking on the icon, and then hovering over
>  >> the
>  >> wireless entry on the menu.  fwiw, in checking this I discovered that
>  >> even though nm was showing an apparent connection, when I hovered over
>  >> the icon, it turned out that I was _not_ connected, and had to reconnect.
>  >
>  > Maybe at _the_exact_second_ that I checked I had lost contact, and
>  > then it reconnected automatically when I sent the mail? I somehow dobt
>  > that.
>

> It's not quite _that_ precise.  If you're at a hot-spot in a high
>  wifi-activity area, you could be involuntarily roaming.

It was at a neighbor's house, while we were installing Ubuntu on his
computer we were browsing the net on my laptop. There is another wifi
router in the area that I pick up, but it is also protected by WEP so
I wasn't connected to it.

I'll be there again next week so I'll test then. Maybe I've been rooted :)

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.